11 April 2005
Word of the Day for Saturday April 9, 2005
supervene \soo-pur-VEEN\, intransitive verb:
1. To take place or occur as something additional, extraneous,
or unexpected (sometimes followed by 'on' or 'upon').
2. To follow immediately after; to ensue.
Supervene comes from Latin supervenire, from super-, "over,
above" + venire, "to come."
(Thanks to the always-observant Adrian for passing this on.)
Posted by Greg at 10:21 AM.
Add your comment:
- Wikirank: What's popular on Wikipedia
- Google Tasks launches in Gmail
- Glasses cat
- And I mean free, and I mean fair
- Google Analytics redesign lifts off
- Crack pipes
- How to become Emo
- Johnny Greenwood, duplicate
- Emerge vs. Release
- Stick Figures in Peril
- Black Rock City, Almost Gone